If you’re new to the Wisconsin fried cheese curd scene, welcome to the club! Fried cheese curds are one of the most delicious foods on the planet and there’s no better place to eat them than the Dairy State. But be careful: Wisconsinites take their cheese curds very seriously. Make the wrong move – use the wrong condiment, eat them with a fork, eat only one – and you might end up with ranch dressing on your head! Here are a few tips that will help you enjoy every last curd without cheesing anyone off!
- When you’re in a large group, don’t order just one basket. This is not a caviar tasting – people need to dig in to those curds and come back for more. Order several baskets!
- Ketchup is an acceptable dipping sauce but be aware that in some circles, you may be considered suspicious if you dip your curd in anything but ranch dressing.
- When you’re eating cheese curds, don’t discuss politics or religion but you may debate the merits of the basket at hand. You may also argue about what makes a fried cheese curd great – the color? (White or yellow?) The coating? (Breaded or battered?)
- Don’t say a word about calories when you’re eating cheese curds – this is not the time or the place. If you’re worried about your waistline, make plans to hit the trails!
- Ask before grabbing that last curd. But never let the server carry the basket away with any survivor. It would be a dishonor to the deep fryer!
Here are some great places to practice your cheese curd etiquette:
Gateway Lodge, Land O’ Lakes
Fireside Bar & Grill, New Auburn
Blue Heron, Eagle River
Riverside Brewery & Restaurant, West Bend